Wednesday 10 March 2010

Distant Love

Although not visual, I've translated a Trinh Cong Son song.

Distant Love (Tình Xa)

What days and months have gone by whilst I've sat still
What love has gone away whilst I've remained here
Love after love has left me like little streams
O little streams, the promises were the rains

As my footsteps head home, late at night I survey the streets of
an abandoned city, as once, over an affair
How would you know that life is so sad
Sometimes I hear myself

Listening to bleak waves lap against a frozen life
To my soul: wind, sand, transient things drift back

Sometimes, on the roof of our love, I hear raindrops
Howling love, silent love
Sorrow howling after sorrow, beside the deep ravine

Tomorrow morning, what's there to see
Oh I'll still have my friends
What drink won't still burn, whilst I'm still intoxicated by you
Since the day our love became like a heavy-headed highland forest
O steadily falling sad sounds, I realise my life is already mossed over.

Trinh Cong Son
1966-1967

No comments: